I have modified my ideas to fit in as Xbox 360 DLC, as that's the platform I play the game on, and creating a DLC package will be much simpler for me if the other things get figured out. Therefore Overdrive is now the title I'll use for the 360 mod should I ever make it work. I'm calling it Overdrive and not Hi-Octane 2 because that sounds like it should be be a continuation of the original. Cars 2 is very different in terms of gameplay, so it makes sense to me for the mod to have a different name entirely.
Known Issues/Research Needed
There are a number of things holding up progress at the moment, listed in order of severity below. Top issues must be resolved to have an effective mod, while lower ones are less important.
- Cars 2 X360 uses .tstream textures, whereas Cars 3: Driven to Win X360 uses .tbody. The .tbody format is mostly figured out, but I don't have any info on .tstream (research at XentaX and ZenHax)
- Check to see if new DLC packages are possible, or whether one will have to be updated.
In simplest terms, Cars 2: Overdrive would be built to do for things if possible:
- Add all new Cars 3 characters
- Add all new Cars 3 tracks
- Make NPCs playable from Cars 2 (no Cars 3 NPCs need to be added)
- Add community created alt skins/characters, such as various Piston Cup racers
New characters and reskins
These are characters or alternate paintjobs created using existing character models. Some would not truly be a new character, but a reskin (such as Francesco as Rip).
|Cars 3 ports|
|New Piston Cup racers (reskins)||Reskins for current characters||Pseudo-characters|